12 years ago, NAMES was born at the hands of five founding members from five different countries in North Africa and the Middle East: Egypt, Kuwait, Tunisia, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia.
Today, with more than double the original number of members spread across the region, NAMES is a well-established, well-recognized regional network of science centers and museums, delivering on its long-term objectives through a diversity of services, projects, and collaborations.
Our Objectives have been clear:
1) Identifying the current situation, means and venues of science communication throughout the region;
2) Promoting best practices, supporting effective communication, and encouraging excellence and innovation in informal science learning;
3) Providing professional development for the science communication field in the region, collaborating to enhance the performance of those involved in the field, and making best use of all available resources within the region;
4) Spreading the message of informal education and strengthening the position of science centers/museums within the community at large;
5) Emphasizing and popularizing the region's cultural and scientific heritage.
The Benefits of joining NAMES are:
- Being part of a well-established, internationally recognized network;
- Leaving a legacy and positioning yourself as a leader with a vision, directly and indirectly supporting the growth of the science communication field within the NAMES region;
- Sharing experiences of relevant educational contents and agendas;
- Working with colleagues facing similar challenges and opportunities;
- Participating in and exchanging programs of knowledge and capacity building;
- Customizing trainings and capacity-building programs at subsidized fees, in collaboration with international networks and experts, such as the biennial Euro-Mediterranean and Middle East (EMME) Summer School for Science Communication;
- Participating in network activities and events, including NAMES Biennial Conference, at subsidized fees, including the opportunity to exhibit;
- Receiving periodical information on relevant activities and programs within the region and outside it; and
- Voting and nomination for the Network’s Board of Directors (only Full Memberships).
To experience the above yourself, we invite you to register and participate in NAMES 6th Biennial Conference, NAMES 2018, which takes place 24-26 October at the Library of Alexandria, Egypt. Participating also means you can register in one of two specialized Pre-Conference Workshops delivered by renowned international experts. It is a an opportunity not to be missed!