Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) was established in 1982, and the first Sultan Qaboos University students were enrolled in 1986. The University commenced with five colleges namely: Medicine, Engineering, Agriculture, Education and Science. Furthermore, the College of Arts was established in 1987, following the College of Commerce and Economics which was developed in 1993. The College of Law joined the University in 2006, and finally the College of Nursing was established in 2008.
Support to Higher Education
SQU supports higher education through providing scholarships to encourage students to join the high academic caliber to postgraduate programs. In addition, the University offers skills enhancement of courses and workshops to develop faculty and students’ skills related to research, publishing, supervising and professionalism.
Type of Support
The University offers 2 types of postgraduate scholarships annually:
• Exemption from tuition fees scholarships (for Master’s program only)
• Full scholarships (for Master’s and PhD).
The postgraduate scholarships (Master’s and PhD) are offered mostly in all colleges in different specializations. Doctoral programs are offered in 28 different specializations from five colleges, namely: Science, Engineering, Agricultural & Marine Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences and Arts and Social Studies. Master’s programs are offered in 58 different programs across eight colleges. In 2011, SQU provided a number of 93 scholarships for Master’s degrees and 10 scholarships for PhD. For additional information, please refer to:
Benefits for recipients of scholarships:
Duties and obligations of recipients of scholarships:
Situations for suspension and termination of a scholarship:
Scholarship contracts: www.squ.edu.om/tabid/8223/language/en-US/Default.aspx
The Deanship of Postgraduate Studies offers a number of Enhancement Programs for postgraduate students, faculty and researchers. The programs are offered in form of presentations and workshops. Certificates are issued upon completion of the program. Below is some of the workshops offered through the Postgraduate Enhancement Program:
• Effective Supervision of Postgraduate Research: Held in January every year, and presented in English.
• Writing and Publishing Scientific Paper: Held every semester. Two separate workshops are held, one in English (for Sciences), and another in Arabic.
• Postgraduate Skills Enrichment: Held every semester. Separate sections are presented in English (for Sciences) and in Arabic.
• Basic Safety Procedures in the Laboratory and the Field: Held every semester in English.
• In addition, the DPS offers a number of free Skills Enhancement Programs available at:
Duration of Support
• For Master’s degree: 2 years.
• For PhD degree: 4 years.
The duration of each program ranges between one day and 5 days.
• Master's Degree Scholarship
- Applicants should fulfill the postgraduate program’s admission requirements available on the following link:
- Applicants should have a bachelor degree with a CGPA of 3.00 or higher on a 4-point scale.
- All candidates for full scholarship must be full-time students.
- Applying for “exemption from tuition fees scholarships” is limited to students who have not been admitted to a postgraduate program before.
• PhD Degree Scholarship
Applicants should fulfill the postgraduate program’s admission requirements available on the following link:
• Students already enrolled in a postgraduate program may apply for full scholarships if they have completed one semester but have not registered for the second (if available).
• Effective Supervision of Postgraduate Research: Academic research supervisors.
• Writing and Publishing Scientific Paper: Postgraduate students and Researchers.
• Skills Enrichment: Postgraduate students and junior faculty.
• Basic Safety Procedures in the Laboratory and the Field: Postgraduate research students in science-based disciplines and technical staff.
• Master’s Degree: Applications are received annually from December to February.
• PhD Degree: Applications are accepted all year round.
Applications are accepted all year round.
Mr. Mahmood Al-Rahbi, Director of Scholarships and International Students
Telephone: +(968) 24145904
Mr. Oliya Al Nofli, Scholarships
Telephone: +(968) 24145913
Mr. Nasser Al-Subhi, Head of Skills Programs Section
Telephone: +(968) 24145910
• SQU manages also a number of sponsored scholarships as follows:
- Petroleum Development Oman Scholarships: A total of 5 scholarships for students pursuing Master of Science degree in Petroleum & Natural Gas Engineering. Eligible candidates are interviewed by PDO for the final decision.
- Shell Chair: Shell Chair at the Oil & Gas Research Center in SQU offers Sponsorship for Students in PhD and MSc Programs. Two PhD and two MSc students are sought for research projects to be supervised by the Shell Chair in Carbonate Geosciences. Prospective candidates should be Omani nationals, and must first enroll in the PhD or MSc programs of either the Department of Earth Sciences or the Department of Petroleum and Chemical Engineering at SQU. Following enrollment in the appropriate graduate program, the candidate should contact Dr. Stephen Ehrenberg (firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scholarships allocated to employees of Ministry of Education: SQU allocates 25 tuition fees waved Master scholarships for employees of Ministry of Education to pursue their graduate studies at the College of Education. Employees are nominated by the Ministry in accordance with the general requirements of postgraduate scholarships.
• The DPS at SQU also offers a guide to international students studying at SQU, which is available at the following link: www.squ.edu.om/tabid/11440/language/en-US/Default.aspx