A Bibliotheca Alexandrina (BA) volunteer is an individual who loves the community, is curious about libraries and gives contribute his best to make it better, and desires a new and rewarding experience. Volunteering in a library is an excellent opportunity for individuals to experience library culture and to serve their community. Volunteers are unpaid and give of their time and talents to support the library and its services. The volunteer program at the BA creates opportunities for individuals to feel personal satisfaction while performing a valuable service for the society, serves as a method for area residents to become familiar with the library and supplements the efforts of paid library staff.
All prospective BA Volunteers will be asked to complete an application for volunteer work and a supplementary interview with the volunteer coordinator. Volunteers are selected based upon their qualifications and the needs of the library at any given time. While we appreciate every person who wishes to volunteer at the library, opportunities for volunteer work are limited.
The library accepts as volunteers:
- Students participating in service activities as an educational requirement
- Students requiring internships or cooperative placements
- Individuals referred by other volunteer programs
- Individuals who would like to increase their skills in one or more aspects of librarianship
Since each BA volunteer will serve as a complement to the paid library staff, each volunteer must exhibit the following qualities:
- Ability to interact with patrons, library staff and other volunteers in a constructive and pleasant manner
- Ability to be creative and assist people
- Ability to communicate effectively in Arabic, both in written and verbal formats
- Willingness to work within the library environment
- Capability to follow supervisory direction
- Eagerness to learn and to do the assigned work effectively
- Willingness to be supportive of the library and its policies
- Knowledge of alphabetical order and decimals in both Arabic and English
All BA volunteers will be asked to assist in the normal daily duties of the BA Library Sector staff. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- Shelf reading and shelving of all library materials in proper Dewey Decimal order
- Enhancing reference services by assisting users with simple requests
- Performing daily floor assessments, insuring that all library materials are in order, shelves are aligned, floors are free from clutter, and reading areas are prepared for efficient usage
- Assisting in administrative functions including mailings, filing, data entry, labeling, etc
- Providing support for events, programs, special projects, etc. held at the BA
- Perform other assigned tasks as needed
Sunday thru Thursday from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. (see location map )
Fourth floor, Chief Librarian's Office
Attn: Library Sector
El Shatby 21526
Alexandria , Egypt
When applying by email, please include a cover letter stating the intended position applying for, as well as a copy of your CV, as an attachment in a Microsoft Word document or in Rich Text Format (RTF).
Email applications may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org .
**IMPORTANT: Please type BA Volunteers as the subject of your email.
When faxing your CV and cover letter, please include a fax cover sheet with the subject BA Volunteers and to the attention of the Library Sector/Chief Librarian's Office.
Our fax number is +203 483 9999.
Only candidates selected for further interviewing will be contacted.