Heritage Preservation: Reconstructions: The Bourse

The Cotton and Stock Exchange of Alexandria, known as the Bourse, originally dominated the eastern end of the Place des Consuls (later renamed Mohamed Ali Square). On 26 July 1956, it was from the balcony of the Bourse, that Nasser announced the nationalization of the Suez Canal. In 1977 however, the building burnt down during riots, and was finally completely demolished in 1982.